Friday, July 30, 2010

August Kit Reveal #1

My first reveal with the August kit finally went up at KnK today! I've created two layouts that are very different from each other which I am really excited to share with you. For the first, I used the more muted colors in the kit, and added lot of distressing, ink, and stitching to further soften the feel of the page. I altered some Petaloo "Color Me Crazy" leaves with a Tsukeniko "Bamboo Leaves" Dew Drop, TH "Vintage Photo" distress ink, and Cinnamon Stickles. I love how the ink brings out the texture and pattern in the leaves...
The Jillibean Soup canvas flowers are nice and flat, so I could add my own centers to match my page. I used a Petaloo "Candies" flower (I LOVE those flowers!) for the center of the biggest canvas one, and drew a dot of Stickles for the centers on the rest, to match the leaves.

I didn't want to overwhelm this photo with a lot of patterns, so for one of the layers I turned a piece of the striped paper over. I didn't want it to be white either, so I gave it a good treatment of distress ink and Rock Candy crackle paint (which I discovered is surprisingly flexible when it's dry) and let it dry overnight. The corners curled easily to show a hint of the striped paper on the reverse.
In my second layout I wanted to really showcase the vibrant colors in the kit, so I started with three different colors of cardstock (green, yellow, and purple) for the base. The photos I had chosen were full of color also, so in order for them to stand out I decided to give the cardstock a good brushing of white paint. Hmmmm.... a good start, but not enough. I had also already cut out the string of lanterns -- and let me tell you that was no quick task so I was determined to use them! In my quest for a darker contrasting color (which in any other instance I would have reached for brown or black cardstock), I ended up punching all of the letters and numbers out of the 12x12 sheet of corrugated alphas and adhered the negative directly over the top of my tri-colored base. I brushed a little mango-colored paint around the edges for a little interest, and from that point just laid out my photos, title and embellishments the way I wanted them! I think it worked out well, and even though the result is way out of my norm, it was something colorful and fun, exactly what I wanted.
This layout also gave me the perfect opportunity to use the handmade pinwheels in the kit! They look really cute layered over a Petaloo flower which I left white instead of altering.

Look for more from me in a couple weeks, I am nowhere near finished with this amazing kit! Thanks for stopping by, leave a comment or just wave so I know you were here :) Happy crafting!

2 comments:

  1. Amy, your blog looks great, and as always, your layouts are amazing!!

    ReplyDelete